Stress, Trauma, Addictions, and Recovery (STAR)
We provide a range of mental health services for military personnel in Kansas City, MO with a fast track admission process. Only one phone call is necessary to confirm acceptance.
We recognize the importance of clear, effective and timely communication. Our Outreach Coordinator’s role is to:
- Provide 24/7 support for admission issues
- Address issues or concerns of service members, families and/or military personnel
- Work with the clinical team to enhance patient experience
STAR Outpatient Services
Understanding the need for support and treatment beyond the inpatient experience, The STAR Unit of Research Psychiatric Center provides a full spectrum of programs for adults, including:
- Mental Health Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
- Substance Abuse Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP)
Our partial programs meet from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Patients in our outpatient programs are provided medication management, a full spectrum of diagnosis based groups (with master’s degree prepared therapists).
The STAR Program Difference
- Separate, distinct unit for military service members
- Basketball court, work out facilities and yoga
- Secure outdoor area
- Experienced unit staff, many of whom are current or former service members, including clinicians and staff with combat and deployment experience.
- Command visitation offered 24/7
- Care Coordinator serves as a single point of contact for service members, Command and staff
- Cognitive Processing Therapy (CPT)
- Medication management (coordinated with military formulary)
- Daily meetings with psychiatrist
- Physical training
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
The STAR Unit
The STAR Unit at Research Psychiatric Center has served active duty men and women, in addition to veterans, reservists and their families from many locations across the United States.
Determined to provide our nation’s heroes with the care they deserve, Research Psychiatric Center has a program that allows service members to reside on their own dedicated unit. Our average length of stay is 28 days, and we are proud to offer around-the-clock contact with appropriate military staff to ensure a seamless transition back to duty.
Trauma and PTSD Program
Our trauma and PTSD modality focuses on issues related to the full spectrum of traumatic experience, whether experienced in childhood, adulthood or during military service (including combat).
We use weekly patient-involved case management conferences and the PCL-M scale, which studies have shown effectively measures symptoms of PTSD.
Many patients in our trauma track are referred to our in-house clinician who is certified in Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR). EMDR is an Evidence-Based Treatment proven to be effective in treating PTSD. The Department of Veterans Affairs and Department of Defense have jointly issued guidelines that “strongly recommend” EMDR for the treatment of PTSD.
Recovery from Substance Abuse and Addiction
We realize substance abuse issues within the military are prevalent.
In our substance abuse track, we offer education, support and tools to remain sober, avoid and deal with triggers that cause the abuse and address issues that are specific and relevant to our armed forces.
We also offer safe, medical detoxification when necessary.